Iwo Jima Monument West Calendar
Calendar of Events
- February 2015: National press campaign around 70th Anniversary of landing on Iwo Jima, 1945: The compelling story of the photograph, how it impacted the Nation and America’s love for the Marines Corps that helped save the Corps Post WWII.
- February 23, 2015: Event to pay tribute to Iwo Jima veterans on the 70th Anniversary of the flag raising on Iwo Jima (Newport Beach, CA), sponsored by Iwo Jima Monument West.
- March 4-7, 2015: Iwo Jima Committee, San Diego holds 3 days of events with Iwo Jima veterans including a dinner Sat. March 7th at Camp Pendleton, with reenactment of the flag raising by Marines.
- March 16-22, 2015: Military Tours trip to Guam and a day on Iwo Jima for formal ceremonies as guests of Japanese government: memorial services and trip to the top of Mt. Suribachi on March 20th.
- May 8-11, 2015: “Letter of Interest” to designers/architects disseminated.
- May 22, 2015: Videotaped interviews with Iwo Jima veterans and flag raising reenactment on Camp Pendleton; Channel 8 and Camp Pendleton Base Public Affairs covered this event.
- June 8, 2015: ClarkNexsen (VA Beach) and Fentress Architects (Denver) qualified.
- June 15, 2015: Request for Proposals.
- July 14, 2015: Briefing of Architects, Camp Pendleton with DPW staff, Iwo veterans.
- July 30, 2015: Deadline for design submissions changed to September 4.
- July 31, 2015: Final document request fulfilled for architects.
- August 13-16: Marine Corp League National Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ.
- August 2015: Submission of article to Black Sands, newsletter, IJSAA.
- September 4, 2015: Design/Build Proposals submitted by ClarkNexsen and Fentress Architects.
- October 14, 2015: Selection of winner of the design/build competition
- October 31, 2015: Unveiling of Winning Memorial Design, at a major fundraising luncheon in Newport Beach, presented by the architect, with remarks by esteemed Marines, and some Iwo Jima battle veterans. One of a kind Iwo Jima auction items.
- November 10, 2015: Marine Corps Birthday Day Event
- December 31, 2015: Fundraising goal deadline: $4 million